Monday, February 2, 2009

But I digress

I'm sitting here at the University of Sydney campus in the shade with my laptop rapidly running out of battery power. I don't know why, but for some reason after continuously running the battery down to zero charge, the thing looses all of its zing. Now it barely lasts two hours.

I'm waiting for my newly acquried car - "Annabella" - to get her blue slip so that I can transfer the registration from the ACT to NSW in some ridiculously convoluted process. Things were so much simpler in South Australia where the authorities don't bother with such annoyances as "registration inspections" and having individual licences for automatic and manual drivers.

But I digress.

The real reason I'm writing today is that I am utterly, utterly bored. It's one thing to claim unemployment is wonderful becuase you have so much time to do whatever you please. But you have time to do whatever you please, while everyone else is out living their lives. On the weekends, sure, it's nice to have no ties. But during the week the drain of the job search process is tiresome, dull and repetitive. It's almost like I want some hard-ass but with-a-heart-of-gold motivating coach to pop in at convenient intervals. I just need Pai Mei to whip his beard over his shoulder one more time and I know I can put my fist through that piece of wood.

But somehow you do keep on going. You do fight the good fight. You get up in the morning and fight for what you want and what you believe in, even if what you believe in is arranging your house so that every speck of dust is in the correct place. Just don't give up or be stagnant. I think that's the trick. Fight the fight so you can move on to the next one. If it ends up in a stalemate or if you're on a perpetual retreat you'll eventually loose sight of the fight you were fighting and in the end, just give up.

And then you might be stuck in Canberra the rest of your life.

But I digress.

The real reason I'm writing today is because I feel like it, and it's a beautiful sunny day outside.

There's also water, rumbling tummies and kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.rating_bar { width: 55px; background: url(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JMx7bP29asg/SoUkDD8uwnI/AAAAAAAAADU/QsG5fDhIGys/s400/star_x_grey.gif) 0 0 repeat-x; } .rating_bar div { height: 12px; background: url(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JMx7bP29asg/SoUkDD8uwnI/AAAAAAAAADU/QsG5fDhIGys/s400/star_x_orange.gif) 0 0 repeat-x; }